Subclass 117 & 837

Orphan Relative Visa

Orphan relative visa permits lets a single child come to Australia to live with a relative because of their parent's death, are unable to care for them or of unknown whereabouts,. 



  • Someone aged under 18, unmarried, who cannot be cared for by either parent because each of them is either dead, permanently incapacitated or of unknown whereabouts, and it is in the best interests of the child if he/she settles with a relative in Australia. In such cases, the child may be sponsored for settlement in Australia by a relative who is an Australian citizen or permanent resident.


  • Eligible relatives such as sibling or step-sibling, grandparent or step-grandparent, aunt, uncle, step-aunt or step-uncle must be sponsored the child for this visa. 


  •  The child must be under 18 years old when they apply for the visa. 

No parent to take care or missing

  • The child  who cannot be cared for by either parent because each of them is either dead, permanently incapacitated or of unknown whereabouts, 

Consent to migrate to Australia

A child younger than 18 years will grant this if either:

  • the child has the written consent of everyone who can legally decide where they live.
  • the laws of the child’s home country allow them to leave their home country; or
  • it is consistent with any Australian child order about the child

Debts to the Australian Government

  • The applicants (including family members) must not have any debt to the Australian Government. 

Health & character requirement

  • The child and any dependent child who applies for the visa with them must meet our health and character requirement. 

Best interests of the child

  • The DIBP might not grant this visa if it is not in the best interests of an applicant under 18. 

Visa cancelled or a previous application refused

  •  While the applicant  were in Australia and If their visa cancelled or visa application have been refused then they  might not be eligible for this visa 

Hold a visa

For subclass 837 visa  the child might  able to get this visa if:

  • they currently hold a substantive visa 
  • they have not applied to get an Orphan Relative visa within 12 months of the previous substantive visa ceasing
  • the substantive visa they hold or last held was a subclass 771 Transit visa. 

Orphan Relative Visa Assessment

  • Please Fill up the assessment form to find out about your eligibility for Subclass 117 or 837 visa. 

Orphan Relative Visa Assessment

Assessment Form